Connie Hanks Photography // ClickyChickCreates.com // rustic, train, tracks, cowboy, cowgirl, boots, perspective

World Backup Day is Coming!!

I’m gonna give you a kick in the pants and let you in on a little secret… As a photographer, as a mom, as a scrapbooker, I PANIC at the thought of losing all my photos. Even the bad ones! So I make sure to regularly back up my images. Do you do the same? Monday, March 31st is a great reminder to do just that as it is World Backup Day! Their site says: “DON’T BE AN APRIL FOOL. Be prepared. Back up your files on March 31st.” Pretty good advice : )

There are a ton of options for external hard drives to back up your files, along with paid online options, and even free online options like Dropbox. Personally, I use a couple of external drives for most of my backups, along with iCloud and Dropbox when I need to share files with clients or friends. All of my images live on a Western Digital My Passport for Mac, and I keep copies of my images and my Lightroom catalog on a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop EHD. This system works great for me! Do you have a system in place? How regularly do you backup? Whatever system works for you, I just passionately recommend and remind you to backup your photos and files!

Have a wonderful weekend! Be sure to “like” and “follow” me on FaceBook here!

As always, thanks for stopping by. Have a joyful, creative, blessing filled day!
Live creatively!
xoxo,
/c

20 thoughts on “World Backup Day is Coming!!

1. Alien Shores says:

Hi Connie … Yes, similarly to you I use 2 WD Passport 1TB External drives for every image, which is great for travelling as you’re always able to backup the 16gb CFs each night and carry one of the drives in your pocket/camera bag separately for security. And flickr now has 1Tb for free so that is for the portfolio. Wes

2. mommyneurotic says:

In the past I used an HP server that RAIDs itself so that that there are mirror copies of my files across 3 harddrives. I just bought a Synology and 3 TB worth so that it will do the same type of thing – mirror itself between the drives. However, this is just my archives. Stuff within the most recent 2 years are on my Time Capsule. But I was just talking to my brother recently – who is more of a techie than I am – and he was mentioning using Google Drive to backup lower resolutions of photos – as if you lost everything and just had those photos, its better than nothing.

I like the idea of saving my LR catalogs. I’ll have to think about that.

At the end of the day… the most valuable files I want to protect are my personal photos. I think I may want to cloud my archives better. The good news is all the super old photos are tiny sized files anwyays due to the quality back then. But the newer files…goodness they take up a lot of space!

• Connie Hanks - ClickyChickCreates.com says:

Sounds like you have a good plan backing up your files with the mirror images! Good on you!! I’ll have to consider Google Drive as well – thanks! I learned the hard way regarding not backing up my Lightroom catalog as 90% of my editing is done there. My hard drive crashed, and even though my images were on an external drive (yay!), all my edits resided in Lightroom catalog on my computer, so they were wiped out (boo!). Most of the edited files were already printed or given to clients on cd, but if I need to go into my archives (2012 or earlier), I’ll have to start over with edits. Not too much hardship with the exception of the one client who I was mid-process with and had to start over on images from a 2-hr session! Eek! As always, thanks for stopping by 🙂

3. Sreejith Nair says:

Hello Connie,

Very relevant topic 🙂 I used to back up all my photos in two different external HDD’s.

Last month, one of my WD 500GB passport stopped working suddenly, but hardly any data is lost due to the back ups 🙂

Frankly speaking, no digital media is 100% safe and only bet is having multiple copies.

4. mpejovic says:

Thanks for the reminder. I started backing up some files online but I never finished it (it takes soooooo long!), so I really need to get back to it and finish the job.

5. sweetlittlenetwork says:

I backed up a set of photos and my old laptop was taken. Now that I suffer from memory loss, it bothers me so much. Currently, the photos I have help jog my memory or serve as a reminder, even if I don’t remember. Knowing that I have a ton of undiscovered memories, that have been literally and figuratively deleted, perhaps even forever, is painful. Now, I make sure to put photos on a separate hard drive that stays with me. Reading this post, allowed me to remember that incident. Beautiful images, thanks for sharing.

6. Findlater Photography says:

Like you, we learnt to backup the hard way. We had a 1 year old WD drive that crashed and took with it a year’s work, including our portfolio. Luckily we didn’t have any outstanding images from paying clients – but we did loose images from a portfolio session that had taken 3 months and a lot of planning and money to pull off. Lucky for us the people involved (who had work on a time for prints basis) were very understanding.
    We have had a really bad run with hard drives crashing so we were always planning on getting a backup drive, just never got round to it – and ended up paying the price. Since then we have a drive that stores all photos and files, a drive that ghosts all files from the first drive, and most recently we have had a custom built WD Black Hard Drive put into an external HD case as another back up. Now we just have to work on our off-site backup and we’ll be right.

So, whatcha thinkin'?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s